My students LOVED our Lotería de Navidad unit last year. Justino was definitely the favorite (free resources here, thanks to Martina Bex), but Carmina and the 250th anniversary commercial were highly engaging stories too. And Martina's Breakout Box for Carmina was the perfect last day activity before break.
Our Essential Question for that unit was:
- ¿Cómo son mis tradiciones relacionadas con los días festivos similares y/o diferentes de una de España?
- I can describe a the products, practices, and perspectives of a holiday tradition in Spain.
- I can demonstrate that I understand four stories about a holiday tradition in a variety of ways.
- I can compare and contrast my cultural products, practices and perspectives related to a holiday to those of a holiday tradition in Spain.
The wonderful Elena López and I have been continuing to work on the Anuncio de la Lotería de Navidad: Danielle! It is a commercial, but really it is like a short movie (almost 20 minutes long). I wrote the story in Comprehensible Spanish (probably for level 2 or 3+) and created a slideshow (with 121 slides!) with the text of the story and screen shots.
Elena and I have divided the story up into four parts and created some activities to go along with each part. So far, we have created (all of which is linked in the presentation):
- four Quizlet Diagrams
- two Quizlets with comprehension questions
- Cierto/Falso sentences
- Picture slides to do re-tells, listen and identify pic, and/or cierto/falso
- one Quizlet with fill-ins and matching for parts of sentences
- a Quizizz (click here to see it)
- "¿Quién lo dijo? ¿Quién lo hizo? ¿Quién lo pensó?" activities for each part
- And there will be more to come! In the meantime, you can have access to what we have created so far (and a lot more) here.
Arianne Dowd is also working on exploring some of the Cultural Products (caga tió!), Practices (cava, adeu), and Perspectives in the ad/movie. See below for some things that I have encountered.
And here is an interesting perspective that could be talked about!