**UPDATE** I am still using parts of this unit, but I have greatly enhanced and improved it! It is now called Miedos y Leyendas - click here to see what the unit looks like now.
This unit about fears is one that I developed after seeing a activity from Zachary Jones. I have changed the activity a bit and made a unit about Fears. This unit is the first on in my Cultura y Civilización (Spanish 4) course. The song Azul by Natalia Lafourcade is a fun, catchy, comprehensible song for a level 3 or 4 class. The video is engaging and there is a lot that students can analyze and talk about.
The essential questions for the unit are the following:
- ¿Qué efecto puede tener la ansiedad sobre nosotros?*
- ¿Tienes "miedo a caer" con respecto al aprendizaje del español? ¿Qué riesgos tenemos que correr? ¿Cómo podemos superar esta ansiedad?*
- ¿De qué se tratan las canciones “Azul” y "Miedo a Caer"? ¿Cómo son similares y diferentes?
- ¿Quiénes son Natalia Lafourcade y Ruido Rosa?
The students in this class are CTP students with varying levels of ability. They have been in very traditional Spanish classes, and this class is a major shift in how/what they will be learning. These are the goals I hope to achieve with this unit:
- Overcome fears of speaking Spanish
- Enjoy speaking Spanish
- Enjoy listening to Spanish
- Become comfortable with authentic resources (songs, interviews, commercials, Facebook, twitter, Wikipedia)
- Gain confidence with speaking and listening abilities
- Become comfortable with being a little uncomfortable
Some of the activities that students will do are the following:
- cloze activities with the songs
- investigate and talk about the singers and answer questions about them
- sing, sing, sing
- talk about the fears that students have
- watch some commercials that Natalia Lafourcade is in and do some cloze activities
- translate the songs
- illustrate some lines from the song
- compare the fears of the singers to the students' fears
- listen to an interview with Natalia Lafourcade and discuss how she came to write Azul
- watch and listen to an interview with Ruido Rosa and try to understand some words and/or ideas that they talk about
- talk about the videos
- analyze the relationship between the videos and the songs (the video for Azul (in my opinion) shows the growth of someone who has overcome her fears)
- discuss the essential questions
The assessments for the unit will be:
- a spoken interpersonal discussion about what fears students have
- a written interpretive assignment answering all of the essential questions.
- maybe some others
Did you ever use the video "El Monstruo en el Armario" by Pablo Conde? It will definitely keep your students'attention. http://youtu.be/aqTpsG5ifecResponderEliminar
Here is how I've used it in the past. I also use the Natalie Lafourcade song with this video with my Spanish 4 students. http://palmyraspanish1.blogspot.com/2012/01/using-videos-with-tprs-2.html