I posted about this Story/Song of the week a few weeks ago, but I have developed it a lot, so I wanted to post about it again. I am currently using this unit to start Spanish 2. Many of these students did not have a CI teacher last year, so this is a great way to start!
You can find all the resources, links, possible assessments and a suggested order of activities (for free!) here.
See below for the goals for the students for the unit. These are my other secret, teacher goals are:
- Students are engaged! This is a non-honors class and some of them are used to just doing school, and not really engaging.
- Students feel comfortable in the classroom.
- Students feel confident that they can acquire language.
- Focus on communication... not conjugation!
- Review and reinforce high frequency vocabulary.
- Confuse ;) them by using a regular, authentic, good song and music video as the base of the unit.
- Give a ton of input!
- Talk about las redes sociales and the damage that they can do in relationships.
The "I can" statements for the unit are:
- I can function in a solo español classroom
- I can interpret a story.
- I can show that I understand a story in a variety of ways, including:
- Acting out words/sentences
- Translating parts of the story
- Illustrating parts of the story
- Putting sentences in order
- Answering questions (about the story and about myself)
- Identifying cierto/falso statements
- Filling in the blanks of the story
- Writing simple sentences about the story
- I can acquire new language through a story/song and a variety of related activities.
- I can understand an authentic song in Spanish.