I posted about this Story/Song of the week a few weeks ago, but I have developed it a lot, so I wanted to post about it again. I am currently using this unit to start Spanish 2. Many of these students did not have a CI teacher last year, so this is a great way to start!
You can find all the resources, links, possible assessments and a suggested order of activities (for free!) here.
See below for the goals for the students for the unit. These are my other secret, teacher goals are:
- Students are engaged! This is a non-honors class and some of them are used to just doing school, and not really engaging.
- Students feel comfortable in the classroom.
- Students feel confident that they can acquire language.
- Focus on communication... not conjugation!
- Review and reinforce high frequency vocabulary.
- Confuse ;) them by using a regular, authentic, good song and music video as the base of the unit.
- Give a ton of input!
- Talk about las redes sociales and the damage that they can do in relationships.
The "I can" statements for the unit are:
- I can function in a solo español classroom
- I can interpret a story.
- I can show that I understand a story in a variety of ways, including:
- Acting out words/sentences
- Translating parts of the story
- Illustrating parts of the story
- Putting sentences in order
- Answering questions (about the story and about myself)
- Identifying cierto/falso statements
- Filling in the blanks of the story
- Writing simple sentences about the story
- I can acquire new language through a story/song and a variety of related activities.
- I can understand an authentic song in Spanish.
Kara- How long are your classes? I have 85 minute blocks. I am guessing that you are not on a block schedule. I like this unit but I think I would have to reconfigure that activities for my schedule? Thoughts?ResponderEliminar
My classes are 85 minutes long too. We meet every day. I always have other things going on to (La Estrella del Día interviews), so that time frame varies. I would just look at all the activities and figure out how long they would take and go from there.Eliminar
Hi Kara! Thank you for this unit! I used it with a higher level last year after Covid to get students back into being at school. It works well as part of the Ap theme of Technology! I now understand how you did ot so fast- we only have 50 min a day, and it took 3 weeks to complete. But at the end of the year, some kids said it was their favorite unit. And still knew the lyrics!ResponderEliminar
It was cool for me bc I had gone to a music festival in Spain a few summers before where Juan was one of the artists that performed.
The infographic is a great addition- we talked a lot about whatsapp in class, and did a survey. The students who were immigrants or first gens all had it and knew what it was. We ended up seeing references to it throughout the school year, and it was a real cultural connection for them.
Hello! Thanks so much for leaving this comment.Eliminar
So cool that you saw Juan Magán in concert :)
I really like the idea of a survey for students. I think I am going to create that.
Hope you have a great school year!