|A bilingual (español y kichwa) school in Shuid, Ecuador -|
This school visit inspired me to learn more about kichwa.
I traveled to Ecuador this summer on an EF Tours trip with ICTFL (even though I am from New Hampshire). I was fortunate to travel with the wonderful Carrie Toth and we knew that we would have to create something Ecuador-related to use in our classrooms. So, we have been working on a unit based on the video/song "Si tú la ves" and I can't wait to share that soon!
But, as I have been creating that, I went down a rabbit whole of kichwa (yup "kichwa," not quechua) related resources and I created a unit that could go along with the "Si tú la ves" unit or it could be a stand-alone unit. It is called "El kichwa en el Ecuador" and I am so excited to teach this unit!!
(Or if you just want a new legend to use with a legends unit, click here.)
These are the resources included in the unit:
- These Essential Questions:
- ¿Es importante mantener vivos los idiomas y las culturas? ¿Por qué sí o no?
- ¿Qué es la interculturalidad y cómo y dónde está presente en el mundo?
- Discussion questions to get students to think about other languages and the concept of interculturality (without really explaining it)
- A reading about el kichwa in Ecuador
- Some short activities to do with Wawa Kichwa videos/activities every day to start class for four days
- A interpretive reading activity about bilingual (kichwa/español) schools (based on a simplified version of this article). Students could do this alone, in groups or as an entire class.
- Two embedded readings related to legend "Las guacamayas" with possible assessment ideas
- A presentation that will lead teachers through the two easier versions and finally to the full audio of the video below
- A cloze activity with the audio from the video below
- A short reading about a hip hop band that sings in kichwa
- Suggestions for a final evaluation on the unit
- Update: Arianne Dowd created some free resources to go along with the second version of the embedded reading
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario