I love embedded readings that lead to an authentic text, especially when it has authentic AUDIO and VIDEO! If you want to learn more about embedded readings, click here to go Laurie Clarcq's blog.
I recently created two embedded readings that will lead students to understand the audio in this video below. You can see the second version linked here in Arianne Dowd's post (free). You can see the first version and other activities for the whole thing here (or here in this bigger unit about kichwa in Ecuador).
When creating a embedded readings, here is what I have done (which may not be the exact, correct method, but I am sharing in case it helps anyone):
- Find an authentic text or an authentic video/audio.
- If it is a video or audio, transcribe it so that I have a text.
- I make a table with three (or four) columns.
- Put the authentic, final version in the last column.
- Work backwards and take pieces out to simplify.
- I make two (or three) other versions in the other two columns. Column one is the simplest version.
- Simplify the language, but also include some of the authentic langue too.
- Important: Leave out some of the important details and leave room for predictions! That will help build the anticipation.
- There are several activities that could be done with each version, depending on the text. Some of the activities could be:
- basic comprehension questions in English
- listen and draw
- listen, write, exchange papers, and draw
- put in order
- who said it?
- matching pics to text
- read and circle the correct word
- Quizlet Live with sentences (leave out certain words)
- retell story with pics
- cloze activity with final version
These are some of the (free) embedded readings that I have made and used in the past.
- El Niagara en bicicleta (a song by Juan Luis Guerra) - This was one of my first ones that I made. It is not in column form and there aren't many activities developed. But after we do this, students are able to understand the song. It is part of this unit.
- El sombrerón (a Guatemalan legend) - I LOVE this one and the final version is authentic audio. This is part of my fear and legend unit.
- Echar pa'lante (a song with a great video and message) - I love this one because it also has the final version is authentic audio.
- No voy a levantarme (a Sr. Wooly song, so not authentic, but still a good one, espcially if you like "Smells like teen spirit." He has given me permission to share.) - It is part of this unit.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario