I have done these Estrella del Día interviews in Spanish 1 and Spanish 3 and it does take up a lot of class time, but it is totally worth it!
La Estrella del Día is explained pretty thoroughly in that blog post, but I have copied and pasted some of it here because I wanted to share it again.
Here is the process:
- Students fill out a form with interview questions on it (with the help from the teacher).
- Here is a document that I created (very similar to what Sabrina shared). Feel free to make a copy and add or subtract questions.
- The teacher collects the sheets and then "interviews" 2-4 students a week. The rest of the class listens respectfully. The question slideshow, with images to help comprehension (this one is for Spanish 1), is projected during the interview so that everyone understands.
- During the interview, the teacher asks follow up questions to the star of the day and/or asks related questions to the class. Also, I type their answers as they talk.
- The teacher also takes a picture of them the day of the interview.
- The day after the interview, the teacher shares the slideshow (with pictures that illustrate the answers and the picture of the student) to review the information shared the day before.
- At the end of the week, there is a quiz (more personalized CI!). The quiz includes 6 sentences about each person that was interviewed that week and students have to write who each sentence was about.
- This is an ongoing activity that will take many weeks.
- Repetition that never gets boring
- Compelling: it's always about them, their favorite topic
- Students feel important and special
- Make students shine
- Authentic conversation
- Supported output (students use notes)
- It includes writing, speaking, reading and listening
- A chance to practice 1st, 2nd, 3rd person forms
- Higher order thinking
- Creates fantastic class culture
- Students can acquire some advanced grammatical structures, such as: imperfect subjunctive, conditional, present perfect, and others, depending on the questions you decide